Living in a city like Chicago means that you never have to look very far to find something to do. Whether it’s a concert series, food festival or neighborhood fair; Chicago has got it going on. So why, when there are so many options, should you donate an entire day to an event like the Chicago Cares Serve-a-thon?
Here are the top 5 reasons WE NEED YOU!
5. Because You’re New to the City. It can take a while to find your niche in a place like Chicago and Serve-a-thon is a wonderful way to meet new people who share your passion for service, as well as a chance to see thriving neighborhoods that you didn’t even know existed! At Serve-a-thon, many of our volunteers are part of corporate teams, so it can also be a fantastic networking opportunity.
4. Because You Love to Work With Your Hands. Painting, building, landscaping; these aren’t the sort of projects that most apartment-dwellers get to tackle very often. At Serve-a-thon you can give your two hands to paint a hallway and when we combine it with the work of thousands of other volunteers, it means improved learning environments for over 15,000 Chicago Public School students.
3. Because You’re Competitive. Sometimes the greatest motivator is the chance to win! Serve-a-thon isn’t just about improving schools, it’s also the largest fundraiser for Chicago Cares. Get your friends together to form a team and then challenge another group to see who can collect the most donations. Your alumni club can challenge your arch rivals, your company’s business department can take on your marketing department, or maybe it’s finally payback time for that softball team that beat you in intramurals last season. There’s nothing wrong with a little healthy competition, especially when it’s the Chicago community that ultimately wins!
2. Because You’re Artistic. From mosaics to murals, Serve-a-thon has a project for the artist in you. Many of our site principals have talked about the positive impact that inspirational art has in the day-to-day lives of their students. You can be part of making these beautiful works of art come to life, leaving a lasting impact on the school community you’re serving.
1. Because It’s Not About You! The number one reason to join us for Chicago Cares Serve-a-thon is to support the needs and affirm the value of over 15,000 students in our city. The funds raised will also sustain more than 200 ongoing group volunteer projects around Chicago, all year long. Everyday we have to deal with the needs of our own jobs, our own health and our own families. Serve-a-thon is a chance, for one day, to focus on the needs of others in our community; and that may be the best reason of all to get involved.
Serve-a-thon is June 9 and registration closes on Monday, June 4.
Sign up to join us today!